Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Break Up is the TRUTH!!!

I almost didn't go see it. I thought why do I want to see a stupid movie about two people fighting over who gets the condo after a break-up? Especially seeing as I am not in the best place around relationships right now, but last night I couldn't bear to spend another Saturday Night in, I didn't feel like a "party" or club, so I went to the dollar movie for a little escapism.

It was cool, it started off how I expected, showing the buildup to the end of the relationship, but then it got interesting. Warning do not read more if you plan to see the movie, I am about to spoil it. This argument is where he utters the line in the trailer "Who wants to do dishes?" During the argument she also goes on at length about all the things she does for the relationship. She cooks, cleans, accompanies him to sporting events,etc.. then she ask the Vaugh character "What do you do for this relationship" and he responds, "I go to work each day to try and make enough money so that one day you don't have to work." Her exasperated response is "But I want to work!" Aniston's character is an artist who works in an Art Gallery. One can surmise that she likes her job, thus doesn't see it as a burden she needs lifted from her shoulders. After the big fight Aniston's character admits (to a friend) she really didn't want to end it, she just wants to feel cared for, appreciated, and receive a simple "THANK YOU" from time to time.

Hold on.... did you get it? Okay let me explain in case someone didn't read between the lines.

  1. In 2006 IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!!! Really if you are involved with a modern woman who has her own money and a career she really loves, she is not looking for you to save her from it. Your money is not the key to a good relationship. What she wants is to feel like you appreciate and adore her.

  2. You have to STEP OUTSIDE YOUR COMFORT ZONE. If you want to build a real relationship, you have to be willing to do somethings you may not want to do for the sake of the other person. That means try something new (take a dance class, go to a show, try a new type of food, etc) b/c it makes them happy. Whether or not you really enjoy it, you should find pleasure in the fact that they like and want to share it with you.

  3. NOTICE THE LITTLE THINGS. Look around and try to see the small things that are done for you that make life a little better.
It really shouldn't be this hard to relate, but I swear sometimes I think it must be brain surgery.

No comments: