Sunday, January 20, 2008

No Call, No Show

Here's the scenario: We have plans to go out. We set them 2 days ago. We talk at noon and plan to meet @ 3p, he never shows. 2 weeks, no call, no communication. I ask the question "Why?" He says, "Something came up and he knew I would be upset, plus he wasn't sure if I was feeling him." I say, "It doesn't matter, if you couldn't make it you should have called, and if something came up, when things settled down you should have called to apologize and explain." He apologizes and asks for a second chance.

I think no way, some people say make him pay, others say walk away, what do you think? I've been told I'm too hard on men, but I really think that a "no call no show" is a deal-breaker. I get that life happens and things can come up that may prevent you from canceling plans beforehand, but to not show up and then not call afterwards to say "I apologize for wasting your time, here is what happened, and how can I make it up to you," shows untrustworthiness, inconsideration, disrespect, or cowardice, all of which are major character flaws that are unacceptable in a partner. The men I ask all say I should give him another chance, and the women say, please, he's a sucker, walk away now b/c he just showed you what he's all about.

I wanna know what some other's think. If we all know that a "no call, no show" is one of the worst infractions you can commit at a job (it can even get you fired if you don't have a good enough explanation), why should it be different in our interpersonal relationships? Am I really wrong to think that if he'd do this this early on in the "getting to know you" phase of a potential relationship, that it is more than likely to happen in the future once things have gotten "comfortable"? What would be the logic in giving him another chance? Please understand that the upset-ness is not so much around the "no show," but around the "no call." I truly think that giving him another chance is saying, "It's okay to waste my time and treat me with no regard."

Gentlemen, honestly, what would you think of the woman who would still go out with you after you stood her up? Doesn't that reek of desperation? Doesn't it seem like she'll go for anything? Wouldn't you be tempted to see what else you could get away with? Maybe I'm off base. I really don't think so, but I am open to seeing this scenario from a perspective.

Talk to me!

4 comments:

E Chuck said...

Two weeks go by and he doesn't call to apologize... you had it right when you didn't give him a second chance. Things do happen in life but when a person consciously makes a decision to disregard you and your time its not life, its them. Actions speak louder then words and he has been screaming exactly who he is.

Now on the other hand, it you just want to go out simply to have a good time and you think his company world be refreshing then go ahead... just think twice about considering a relationship with this man.

Anonymous said...

wow. 2 weeks! Very disrespectful! and if let him he will do it again. Don't stress urself with this one at all.

Anonymous said...

Let him go...If he is sorry in the beginning, think of how he will be after the "honeymoon" phase when they are on their best behavior. Like Keisha Cole says, "where he is at is where he wants to be." If he was interested, he wouldn't have played you like that. He doesn't deserve a chance.

Sheletha said...

has he called?