Sunday, January 13, 2008

Working 9 to 5

Haven't done this in a minute. There's been a lot going on. Since my last post, I've gotten a job, started the job, and considered quitting the job! A lot in a little over a month right? I was offered a position December 11, 2007 with a non-profit in Chicago. I get to work on behalf of youth and I love it! The job falls perfectly in line with the purpose I have chosen for my life, but the challenge of being back in the workforce is present as well.

I told myself I always had options, but what I found in the past 2 years is that there are things I am simply not willing to do again. Having been down that road, I have no desire to return, so now what? This is my first time since college working for a major corporation. I was having flashbacks of my time as an engineering intern and General Motors and wanted to run screaming from the building. The thought of a life of cubicles, water cooler gossip, and all the bullshit that goes along with a JOB got me scared. Then I remembered why I wanted a job in the first place. I missed being with people. I wanted steady income so I could get move forward on some of my other goals like real estate investing and traveling the world.

Yes I have some very real reasons for going back into the workforce and more specifically for working in the youth-focused non-profit sector. I am learning for my next big thing! So despite the fact that I was livid about having to go to work everyday last week when I felt like hell, and being angry that I spent all day today in bed trying to finish recovering, I am still happy about my new life as an employee. Mostly because I get my first check Tuesday.

No comments: