Monday, October 01, 2007

Living Just Enough for the City

I've been kickin' it in the Chi for about three weeks and officially loving it! Outside of the fact that I have a tastee roommate, I also have an AMAZING view of Lake Michigan. I literally wake up and look out over this beautiful peaceful blue expanse. Add to that fact this fabulous Indian Summer we have this September and I am in heaven.

Color Purple ImageI made this move to get a change of scenery and start living the life I want and tonight I did just that. I love the theatre, and one of the reasons Chicago drew me is b/c it has a wonderful theatre district. It's often the first stop many shows make after leaving New York! Tonight I went to see The Color Purple and it was breath-taking. I was a bit worried that it may not live up to the hype, but it surpassed my greatest expectations.

This was the final night of its Chicago run and I bought the ticket on impulse. Yes I know I haven't quite found a job, or established my revenue streams here, but there was no way I was letting that show close without checking it out. So I took myself out on a date. Dinner at a wonderful restaurant, 312 Chicago, where I had this fish I never heard of before but found quite flavorful and popped around the corner to check out the show at the Cadillac Palace Theatre. For the final show of a great run!

I was captivated from the moment I sat down! It was wonderful to see so many people of color at the show and even better to see many other people there as well. Ms. Winfrey gets mad props for putting this production on!

I don't know how to describe it, but what I can say is that I could feel this show. The first big number "Mysterious Ways" was soul-stirring. Like being in church and feeling the spirit come over you. Not a get up and do the holy dance spirit, but like you can feel a presence and it feels good! I would say the number "Hell No" performed by Sophia (the character) was hilarious! All the women in the audience were in stitches. Then Shug Avery showed up on the scene (let me say that Michelle Williams (of Destiny's Child) did an excellent job!) and the show was never the same. I will say that this stage production definitely took the relationship between Celie and Shug a step further than the movie, but more inline with the book.

Everyone knows the story, and if you don't, read the book and rent the move before going to see this production, but seeing it performed live is still full of surprises. I was on my feet by the time the final number was performed and hooted and hollered my appreciation for a fabulous performance during the curtain call. Even though we had very lively audience member who felt the need to shout out and clap and odd moments, I found my this theatrical event to be thoroughly enjoyable and can't wait to see my next production!

When The Color Purple comes to your town, make sure you take the time to see it. This production is on its way to San Fransisco, so if you're looking for a great reason to visit out west, this could be it! We have to support shows like this so we can see more quality theatre that tells stories pertinant to African Americans!

No comments: