Thursday, June 22, 2006

Being Black Being a Feminist

So lately, I have been feeling angry. But I finally get what it is directed towards. I feel like what I want is next to impossible living in America as a Black woman. I look around me city and see such defeat and desperation, and I wonder if I can really make it over the hump.

So loving the web as I do I search for "angry black woman" and up pops these great blogs. For the past hour I have been enthralled by reading posts of women who accurately give voice to my rage and all the reasons for it.

Add to all of this the fact that I am an alumn of Duke University and teach Exotic Dance classes. I forgot all about my great women's studies classes and how much I enjoy thinking about discussing and debating on issues around race, sex, and class. I feel like my intellectual side has been suppressed and I am slowing dying inside.

When I discuss it people attribute it to getting older, but I know that it's more. I have to get out of her this city is like a wasteland of ignorance, segregation, self-hatred, and depression. I wanted to wait until the end of the year, but I am feeling like packing it all up and making a mad dash. The only question is, to where...?

No comments: