Monday, February 05, 2007

R U Gay?

ROFLMAO

I must say I was shocked at the question. I mean I know I don't date a whole lot, but do people really think I'm GAY? Let me be fair and re-tell the entire story. I was at a SuperBowl get together, nothing formal just friends and family hanging out eating junk food and talking. I was talking to my friend's Dad and he blurts out "Do people ask you if you're gay?" I think the look on my face must have said a lot b/c he went on to say, "If I wore a naked man around my neck, I think people would take it as a declaration of my sexuality." I have to add that I have a silver charm of the the Afro Diva lady that I wear around my neck (she is the mudflap lady with an afro). I rock it b/c I think its hot, not b/c I like women sexually.

I explained to him that its different for women and that most of the time I get women asking me how they can get one ( I do sell them as a matter of fact!). So as the conversation went I on I talked about how I am planning on leaving Detroit b/c I want to move somewhere with a larger pool of eligible bachelors. I have accepted that if I am going to find a honey, I need to move to a city where there are more of the type of people I like to be around.

He then gave me a shocked looked and said "Are you really looking?" I am not the typical girl, never have been, and hopefully never will be. I have not made it my life's goal to find a man, get married and have children, but like anyone else I don't really want to spend my life alone or anything. Maybe I read to much into his comment and reactions, but as of late I have had many people question my sexuality, desire to have a family, or willingness to be a mother b/c of my choice to have my own business and just do my own thing vs do anything to get, have or keep a man.

Times are strange though, I have a girlfriend who is trying this lesbian thing after yet another dissapointing heterosexual relationship and have heard about more and more women "turning lesbian" b/c they are tired of men and their foolishness. I am not one of them. Yes I am frustrated with the dating scene and state of the black community, but its not enough to make me switch to the other team. No I don't date a lot and have a different man on my arm every few weeks but that's b/c I am very selective about who I spend my time with.

I don't know I just wish it was easier to just be yourself and not be so misunderstood. If I was gay, it would just be gay, whatever, but damn just b/c a beautiful woman is single, doesn't date a lot, is focused on business, and generally happy or at least not lamenting the fact that she doesn't have a man around does not make her gay. Just look at me the beautiful, talented, very single, yet heterosexual Afro Diva!

JEEZ!!

No comments: