Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sheesh its V-Day

So it is weird that for once I am not sad about not having a Valentine? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind one, but there is no funky feeling of being left out b/c no one is bringing me flowers, jewelry, chocolate, or a video game (the one gift I always wanted, but never got). I think my work could a have a bit of a bad influence on me as it relates to relationships.

I have all these fabulous women coming to my classes wanting to learn Exotic Dance, but I am really surprised by some of the reasons. When I first started this, I marketed it as empowering and transformative. I got some reaction, but it always seemed to come back to "I need to make my man happy" or some variant thereof. They don't care about the health benefits. They don't care about loving their bodies and really enjoying being sensual. Its all about trying to catch or keep a man.

On the other hand there are constant complaints about how they are not happy in the relationship. He doesn't do this, he doesn't do that. I need to get away from him & the kids, yet at the same time you're doing this for him?

I don't get it. Many people find it hard to believe that I don't dance for any man/men. I get asked by men & women alike, what's the point, if there is no one to appreciate it? Its funny b/c dancing has always been about ME!!

I love the feeling of freedom and exhilaration I feel when I'm really feeling the music. I love Exotic Dance b/c it just releases such positive energy in me that I spontaneous break out into movement when a fabulous song comes on. I often dance by myself in the middle of the floor with no one else around, just so I have a lot of space to express myself. To be really honest I don't really like a dance partner, unless we're partner dancing. I'm all about the Ballroom, Step, & Bop, but when I'm free styling unless I'm really feeling you, FALL BACK, please b/c you're messing up my groove.

So this valentine's I'm heading to see the Chippendale Male Revenue. They are performing in Canada and my sister suggested we check it out. I have only seen male dancers a couple of times and I have yet to be impressed or aroused, but seeing as they are world renown, perhaps these guys will do it.

But back to the original topic. It really seems like having a valentine, just isn't what it used to be. Half of my ladies say their honey (husband, boyfriend, whatever) hasn't even planned anything special. I don't want to say that romance is dead, but come on fellas. Can a girl get one day?

Some people wonder why I'm still holding out for knock you off your feet, deep soulful connection, intellectually & spiritually compatible love, but I can't see its worth settling for anything else right now.

If I'm still single at 35, 40 or beyond perhaps I'll consider it, but the way I look at it, if you settle now, you'll never have a chance for true happiness. (Unless of course you get a boyfriend on the side!).

Long-live Valentine's day, but I really celebrate true love!

No comments: