Monday, March 12, 2007

BOO HOO, I'm a baby

Why oh why are schools in Washington State trying to ban booing, heckling, and other forms of intimidation and distraction at school sporting events? I am all in favor of creating positive environments, but this is foolishness.

I have several friends and associates who are parents and educators and the more I speak with them about what's going on the more I see why I as an employer have difficulty finding competent staff.

We are coddling our kids and creating soft idiotic adults! Life is hard, no one gets second chances in the real world. If your boss tells you to get something done and you drop the ball, your ass will end up employed right? So please tell why when these little clowns don't turn in their homework for an entire semester, teachers are ordered to give them make up assignments so that they won't fail?

We are not doing them any favors just pushing them through and giving them the easy way out. So when they get to me and their asses don't come to work on time or deliver half-ass assignment's and get shown the door, they're confused because they always used to get make-up credit. There are no makeup credits in the real world sweetie, sorry. The whole point of parenting and educating children is to prepare them for the REAL WORLD. No one loves you out here.

I, a hardworking, thorough talented person have had my ass handed to me several times b/c no one told me about how to play the Office Politics game. See I thought all you had to do was work hard, be honest, and play nice and the world would be mine. WRONG, I had to learn to the hard way its not just what you know, its who you know, and how you work it.

We need to teach these kids what's really up. If these athletes make it to the NBA, NFL, or Major Leagues people will heckle distract and do all other sorts of things. One of the marks of a good player is his or her ability to focus in spite of the obstacles in their path. I remember having to tune-out the jeers, hisses, and hecklers as I stood at the free throw line to take the shot. Back then it was 3 bounces, 2 rotations of the rock, and a strong follow-through, the rest of it didn't matter. Now as an adult, whenever the going gets rough I just tune-out the haters and focus on my goals.

I really worry about the future, b/c I see a bunch of little punks coming out of the school systems who think we owe them something. I'll just say this, if your child comes to work for or with me, they better be able to handle the pressure or I'll have to show 'em the door.

No comments: