Thursday, April 12, 2007

Regarding the Duke Lacross Case

Yes I'm going to say it, even with the charges being dropped, I don't know if I believe they are innocent. Here's the thing. I went to Duke and I can attest to the lifestyle of the students there and it is one privilege and entitlement. Duke is a wonderful school and I would recommend anyone go there black, white, or other,but Duke is also very much like the real world.

We may never know what really happened that night, but what I do know is this as a Black woman from a working class family who was fortunate enough to experience this world of the elite, I know we(black women) are not valued. Its funny how this came down at the same time as the Imus situation, as it is a clear example of how no matter if you are a collegiate athlete or a stripper at a party you can still be considered a "ho."

Since we arrived in this country, and truth be told before my foremothers left the shores of Africa, white men have felt they have the right to do anything they want to black women (Yes I know that all women have been oppressed over time, but I'm focusing on my community right now). We have been bred, beaten, raped, and abused, and even in 2007 disrespected. So its not hard to think that a group of drunk frat boys who feel they are entitled to whatever they want would assault a stripper, especially a black one.

These young men may be completely innocent, it is also VERY possible that their resources have been used to make this situation "go away." Its an issue of race, gender, class, power, and politics. My gut tells me that something shady went on, but perhaps its my own prejudice influencing me. That nagging belief in my mind that white people just don't respect black people and therefore cannot be trusted to do right by us. I don't think its all intentional, but when you look at how things are how can I think anything else?

Truth is, I shy away from movies and books that tell the history of the atrocities my people have suffered b/c it makes it hard for me to function day to day in this world. When I reflect upon the state of my people, there is so much rage, frustration, and sadness, that my heart feels like it will break and be replaced with a burning desire for revenge. I've done my research and I am a strong warrior for my people, but sometimes I just get sooooo overwhelmed.

Yes I am an angry black women fighting daily to to find peace and channel that energy into good works. Instead of focusing on the wrong that was done, I think on how to move onward and upward. Things like Imus, and the Duke case, just remind me of just how vast this task is and honestly make me question whether or not I can truly make a difference. But, I have to remain hopeful or I think I would lose my will to go on and just sit, forever.

Don't worry I have vowed to make a difference and will not stop until I do or I am no more.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: